We got a lot of notes on our animatic since the last time I posted about our story, so instead of listing all the fixes we addressed week by week, I will just show our process through our weekly passes and go over what we are working on now.
Here’s the animatic that we showed the faculty for our official story pitch on October 16th:
And here’s what I did for the beginning part for today (11/13) mostly just attempting to work out better camera angles :
We have some more camera issues and and a few acting beats to clarify, but our next focus will be on creating beauty frames for our film showing all characters, background, line work, shadows, etc. just the way we want it to look in our final piece.
Also, last week Stephanie gave us some updated character designs:
We liked the slender body/tiny feet of the bottom left cat and the eyes of the top middle cat, and for the dog we liked the bent ears of left middle dog and the bigger paws/legs of the three left most dogs. Since Stephanie was pretty busy with her own homework, Lauren took over and came up with these for now:
We like the dog, but we are going to play around with the cat design a little more; mostly we just need to adjust her head to make it not so big and round in comparison to her body.
Lauren also tested out some pattern and color ideas.
Dog colors with scarf:Cat colors:
She didn’t have time to do cat patterns, but it’s a great start. The patterns for both characters will most likely be kept pretty simple, and as for color, we are probably going to contrast dog and cat by having one of them be a darker tone and one being a lighter tone (so far we think the dog will be the lighter one and the cat will be the darker one). In general, I like the muted colors more than the more saturated ones. We are hoping to have the designs solidified by next Friday.